Tuesday 13 April 2010

Being alive and liking tuna

So far Jack has only eaten dry food. He even shuns that concoction that is put in pouches for cats, that most cats (8 out of 10 apparently) love. However he was introduced to "tuna chunks in spring water" this morning in order to encourage him to eat up his medicine. He has 3ml of an anti-inflammatory and 50mg of antibiotic (twice a day). So he now gets tuna chunks in spring water to encourage him to lap up the drugs. The bowl was not only licked clean but almost eaten as well in case there was some more tuna lurking inside its china-clay particles!

What does all this mean? Firstly it means that Jack is alive... It is very strange that now, whenever someone says "how is Jack?", my first answer is "he is alive". This is enough of an answer. It demonstrates that at the moment things are potentially fragile enough for him that the answer may not be so positive. Jack woke me up at 4am this morning walking around on my pillow, and my head. He does this often and I normally curse him, but this morning it meant that he was alive, and perhaps a small bit of his old hyperactive self had been awoken. He then snuggled down with me in bed, purring like some automated machine. After a while his purring diminished and his head slumped onto my arm... I stared at him and the stillness, and suddenly his nose twitched. He was alive! It makes me apprecaiate every moment as we go through these uncertain times. He is not in perfect shape. He stumbles around, and can only use the stairs slowly and clumsily. He knocks things over and falls down sometimes when trying to jump up onto the furniture... but, for now, so what?

Today things are good. Jack is alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment